I. RINGKASAN MATERI
Invitation adalah text yang berupa ajakan atau undangan, sehingga semua text yang didalamnya terdapat ungkapan ajakan dapat disebut “invitation”.
Invitation dapat muncul dalam teks “announcement”, “short message’, “letters’, dsb.
Ungkapan-ungakapan ajakan tersebut adalah:
a. I invite you to come………
Contoh: I invite you to come to my birthday party, this afternoon ( 2.00 pm) in my house, jl. Pemuda no.67 Klaten.
b. Come to ………..
Contoh: Come to the class-meeting on Friday, November 23th 2007 in our
school at 4.00 pm. Come on time!
c. I would like to invite you….
Contoh: I would like to invite you to participate in the English contest that will be held next Monday, November, 26th 2007 in SMP 1 Surakarta.
d. I thank /hope for coming…..
Contoh: I hope for coming in the next study club of class IX that will be
held every Sunday in our school, at 9.00 am-12.00 a.m. Thank you.
e. I hope you could come to….
Contoh: I hope you could come to the meeting in order to prepare our schools’s program, today, in the OSIS room.
f. I’ll wait you to come….
Contoh: I’ll wait you to come to see the biggest music show in JEC, on Sunday, December 25th 2007, 9.00 am – 2.00 p.m.
g. Would you please come to…
Contoh: Would you please come to the configuration of the students of our school tonight.
h. I’ll be glad if you could come to….
Contoh: I’ll be glad if you could come to my house to have dinner together with my family tonight.
i. Would you please come to….
Contoh: Would you please come to school to support Our basketball team
j. Do you fancy coming to……
Contoh: Do you fancy coming to my engagement party at July 13th 2010 at my house?
Undangan/Ajakan memerlukan jawaban/balasan, baik menerima ajakan atau
Berikut ini adalah ungkapan menerima dan menolak ajakan;
A. Ungkapan untuk menerima ajakan atau undangan ( accepting invitation ).
a. Yes, Iam very glad to receive your invitation.
b. Ok. I will come to your party.
c. Your invitation is very interesting. I like it.
d. That’s good idea to go there. I agree with you.
e. I hope I could come there.
f. It’s fantastic. Good idea!
B. Ungkapan untuk menolak ajakan ( refusing/ ignoring/ rejecting/ declining) invitation.
a. I’ve received your letter, but I am sorry I can’t.
b. It’s good idea, but I can’t go there. I am very busy.
c. What a pity. I have a lot of works, so I can’t receive your nice invitation.
d. It’s very sorry that I can’t go to your party.
e. Well, your invitation to go to Mount Bromo in very nice, but It’s too cold for me. I can’t stand
f. I am not sure I can go there. Maybe next time.
g. I disagree with your idea to go to the beach. Any other idea?
h. I am afraid I can’t. Your house is too far, so I can’t go there alone at night.
i. Oh, I’ll go to somewhere else by the time you will be having a party.
j. I don’t think I can. No one can fetch me to go there. I don’t know the place.
Soal yang biasanya muncul dalam invitation/undangan/ajakan.
A. Function/purpose: Fungsi/tujuan text.
- What is the function of the text?
- The text has the function to…..
- The purpose of writing the text is…..
- The writer wrote the text to…..
B. Inviter and Invitee : Pengundang dan yang diundang.
Perhatikan pertanyaan berikut. Bedakan dan amati pertanyaan yang digaris bawah.
- Who invited the party? (Siapa yang mengundang ke pesta?)
- Who is the inviter?
- Who are invited to the party? (Siapa yang diundang ke pesta?)
- Who is the invitee?
Pahamilah pertanyaan tersebut, lalu amati siapa pengundang dan siapa yang diundang dalam undangan tersebut. Dengan memahami soal dengan benar, maka kalian bias menjawab dengan tepat.
C. What kind of invitation: Undangan untuk peristiwa apa.
- The invitation is about…….
- What is the kind of the invitation?
- The text is to invite someone to come to………
Kinds of Invitation:
- Seminar Invitation
- Retirement ( pensiun/purna tugas)
- Doing assignment
D. When and How long : Kapan dan Berapa lama acara tersebut?
- When does the party begin/stop? (kapan pesta mulai/berakhir?)
- When will the party be held? ( kapan pesta akan diadakan?)
- How long does the party happen? ( berapa lama pesta berlangsung?)
Perhatikan Pertanyaan “When:kapan dan How long: berapa lama”
When menanyakan kapan peristiwa tersebut berlangsung/mulai/berakhir. Jawabannya dapat berupa :Tahun, Bulan, minggu, hari atau jam.
Sedangkan “how long” menanyakan rentang waktu berapa lama peristiwa tersebut berlangsung. Sehingga jawabannya adalah: Two hours, sixty minutes, two days, three months, etc.
When will the meeting be held?
- The meeting will be held on Sunday, July 12nd 2009.
How long does the meeting take place?
- The meeting takes place for Five days.
E. Where : Dimana peristiwa itu berlangsung.
- Where does the party happen?
- Where is the venue (tempat peristiwa) of the party?
- The event is held in…….
- inviter : pengundang
- invitee : yang diundang
- venue : tempat peristiwa
- cordially/warmly : dengan hangat
- In the gutter? : mau menghubungi?
- RSVP : supaya menghubungi (Reply Soon Via Phone)
- Enquiry : silakan menghubungi
- on time: punctually : tepat waktu
- occasion: event : peristiwa
- held/took place/happen : berlangsung/terjadi
- join/take part/participate : ikut serta
- free time/leisure time : waktu luang
- Host : tuan rumah
- guest : tamu
- Regrets only : jika tidak bisa hadir
- confirm : memberi kabar
- come to/arrive/attend : datang ke../tiba/menghadiri
- depart/leave for/go : berangkat/menuju ke../pergi
II. CONTOH SOAL YANG MUNCUL DALAM MATERI UN
Occasion: Kim's Birthday
Date : March 13
Time : 6:30 p.m.
Place : 44 Devoe Road
Directions: Take the no.5 bus. Get off at the comer of Devoe Road. Our house is at the second house on the right. Please arrive on time. This is a surprise party.
Regrets only: Marie Salinger 238-1722 or e-mail Maries(a),dr.com
1. When will the party be held?
A.At 44 Devoe Road C.At 6:30 A.M.
B. On March 13 D.At the second house
2. Regrets only: Marie Salinger 238-1722 or e-mail.
The words above tell us that we should ...
A. give information if we cannot come
B. give information if we can come
C. ask information how to come to the place
D. contact Marie Salinger before we come
To: Vita Maharani
I would be glad if YOU come to my 15"' birthday party.
Day/date: Sunday/July, 29-2008
Time: 7 p.m.
Place: J1. Gatot Subroto No. 365 Sungailiat
3. How old will Tika be 2016?
A. 21 C. 23
B. 22 D. 24
4. When will the party be held?
A. In the evening C. In the afternoon
B. In the morning D. At midnight
5. What's the announcement about?
A. The opening of a university
B. The opinion of our nation
C. The invitation for a seminar
D. The distinction for special speaker
6. How long did the seminar last each day?
A. 2 hours C. 6 hours
B. 4 hours D. 8 hours
7. What is the purpose of the text?
A. To inform people C. To invite someone
B. To remind somebody D. To ask for confirmation
8. Which statement is NOT TRUE based on the text?
A. Eliza Keith Brown was born in 1998
B. The birthday party will be held in the evening
C. Eliza Keith Brown will be ten years old in 2008
D. The invitees should inform Jeannie about their coming
9. The party will finish at ... p.m.
A. 3 B. 5 C. 7 D. 10
10. The writer writes the text above to....
A. show her happiness for Nada's plan
B. invite her friend to her birthday party
C. give an information about her birthday
D. confirm her birthday to her friend
11. Where will the meeting be held?
A. At Ratih's house C. At I3urhan's room
B. At Diana's office D. At School
12. Which statement is CORRECT according to the text?
A. Raiih is not a student of SMP Negeri 2 Palembang
B. Burhan and Diana ask Ratih to write articles for school magazine
C. The students organization of SNIP Negeri 2 will have a meeting
D. P.atih is the treasurer of the student's organization
A. PAKET 1
Text for no 1-3.
To: My friend Lala
Come to my Birthday Party, Sunday, JUNE 12th ‘09
At four pm, in my house Jl. Mawar 5 Yk.
- Who is invited to the birthday party?
A. my friend, lala C. Fera
B. Fera’s friend D. Lala’s friend
- When will the party be held?
A. in the evening C. in the morning
B. Sunday, June twelfth 2009 D. Sunday, June 12th 2008
- The similar meaning of the word Party is….
A. celebration C. parting
B. reception D. perception
Text for no 4-8
My beloved friend Hanny
I’ll be very pleased
if you could attend
my special day
January 30th 1996
January 30th 2010
My 14th Birthday Party
Sunday, January 30th 2010
At 2 pm ( Don’t be late)
In Rapih Villa Kaliurang
Thanks for your time
Yours , Fifi
- From the text we can conclude that…
A. The guests are suggested to come late
B. The guests are forbidden not to come late
C. The guests are recommended to come punctually
D. The guests are asked not to come on time.
5. The statements below are un-true, except….
A. The inviter of the text is you
B. The invitee of the letter is my beloved friend Hanny
C. The party will be held in the afternoon
D. Fifi is thirty years old.
- January 30th 1996 is the day of…
A. Fifi’s party on her birthday C. Hanny’s birthday
B. Fifi’s born D. Hanny’s party
- The word special means….
A. un-usual B. general C. usual D. common
- The word your in “thank you for your time’ refers to….
A. reader B. addresser C. writer D. invitee
Text for no 9-11
To: The staff of the company
We hope you to attend the ordinary general meeting of Zurich financial servising,
Date : Tuesday April 23rd 2009. 10 pm.
Location : Stadium Schuelweg .CH 8302.Switzerland
Agenda : - Launching new products
- Annually reports
- Preparing workshop event
Please come earlier and leave a note if you can’t attend the meeting.
- The purpose of the text is ..
A. to attend the ordinary general meeting
B. to invite the staff to launch new product
C. to invite someone to come to the meeting
D. to invite someone to prepare workshop event
- If the staff can’t attend the meeting, he/she has to…..
A. call the secretary C. phone Robby
B. write a message D. leave a notebook
- 10 pm means……
A. ten in the morning C. ten in the evening
B. ten in the afternoon D. ten in the mid-night
Text 4 for no 12-13
- The best expression to refuse invitation of above text is….
A. Thanks for your invitation. I like it.
B. Thank you. I am afraid I can’t come.
C. Sorry. I am sure I‘ll come.
D. I’d love to. But I have to accompany my mother to the party.
- Based on the text, Joddy and Minna are…
A. Classmate C. Sibling
B. schoolmate D. pen-pal
Text for no 14-15
- From the text we know that Henny…
A. Accepts the invitation C. agrees with the invitation
B. Ignores the invitation D. will come to the movie
- The opposite meaning of interesting is…..
A.Charming B.boring C.Exciting D.enjoying
Text for no 16-17
I'm going to celebrate my success in the examination.
Please come to Pizza Hut restaurant at Golden Mall
on Saturday June 21st
We will share the happy time with my family.
I'm looking forward to seeing you.
16. The purpose of the text above is to …
A. persuade the reader C. advise the reader
B. give information D. invite someone
17. Which of the following statements is not true about the text ?…
A. Ika likes Pizza Hut
B. The party will be held at the restaurant
C. The sender will have a party with her relatives
D. The relationship between the sender and the receiver is siblings
Text for no 18-19
18. What is the purpose of the text?
A. To ask people not to share the special day.
B. To invite someone to attend a celebration.
C. To respect David for his successful career.
D. To show sympathy to David for his retirement.
19. The text shows that David Pilibosian is a(n) ... man.
A. old B. young C. poor D. active
Text for no 20-22
20. Who are invited to the program?
A. Committee C. All students in the school
B. Students of class eight D. Students in SMP 5
21. The function of the text is….
A. To invite someone to participate the UAN examination
B. To invite someone to the join the class meeting
C. To invite someone to come to the “try out” program
D. To invite someone to become students of SMP 5
22. Participate means…..
A. Take part C. Appreciate
B. anticipate D. co-operate
Text for no 23-25
The New Year Eve
for a Party
and Champagne Buffet
on December thirty-first
beginning at nine o'clock
in the evening
Paul and Linda's Home
12890 Patrick Place
Dee, New Jersey
Paul and Linda
23. The word “us” refers to….
A. the reader C. the inviters
B. the invitees D. the addressees
24. The statements below are correct, except…
A. The party will be held on December 31st
B. The party will be held in Paul and Linda’s house
C. The party will be held at 9 am
D. The party will be held in New Jersey
25. When did the most possible time for writer to write the invitation?
A. On December thirty first 2006
B. On December thirty first 2007
C. On December thirty first 2008
D. On December thirty first 2009
B. PAKET 2
Text for no 1-5
Mr. and Mrs. Thornton are proud to announce
the Graduation of Stephanie
Class of 2004
They invite you
to share in their happiness
at Commencement Exercises
on May 5th
at 1 pm-4pm
Bay Pine Center
of Performing Arts
1. Who is Stephanie?
A. Mr. and Mrs. Thornton’s son
B. Mr. and Mrs. Thornton’s friend
C. Mr. and Mrs. Thornton’s daughter
D. Mr. and Mrs. Thornton’s student
2. Based on the text we know that Stephanie will
have a party to celebrate…
A .Birthday party
B. finishing study
C. Getting new job
D. reunion party
3. The word “their” refers to………
A. Stephanie and her parents
B. Students in Stephanie’s class
C. Mr. and Mrs. Thornton
D. Yale University
4. How long will the party be held?
A. On May 5th C. Three hours
B. at 3 o’clock D. at 1-4 p.m.
5. Where will the party be held?
A. At Stephanie’s home C. In the University
B. Bay Pine Center D. In Stephanie’s class
Text for no 6-8
6. Read the invitation above carefully.
Which of the following statement is NOT TRUE according to the text?
A. The invitation is specially addressed to Carine & MarryAnn
B. That is such a nice wedding invitation
C. David is going to be engaged to Mr. White's daughter
D. Golden Garden 10 River Road Shell Bay is the venue
7. The inviter of the invitation is…
A. Carine’s parents C. Julie White Parents
B. Marry Anne’s parents D. David Foster’s paren
8. The purpose of the text is…
A. to announce the engagement of Julie White and David Foster
B. to invite some one to attend the party
C. to advertise the party
D. to give detailed information about Carine and Marry Anne
Text for no 9-13
YOU WORK, YOU PLAY AND THEN
ONE DAY… LOVE JUST HAPPENS!
Invite you to share in their joy
As they exchange marriage vows
On Sunday, Feb 15th 2010
At 8 p.m, at their house
Jl Kenari Timur 53 Bogor
Reception immediately to follow
RSVP to Fanesa (081223423564) or Diana (08122356765)
9. The text shows us that the reception will be held…..
A. one day after the marriage vows is stated
B. two hours before the ceremonial begins
C. soon after the marriage vows finish
D. while the ceremony is in progress
10. When will the party be held?
A. In the morning C. In the evening
B. In the afternoon D. At Midnight
11. RSVP means….
A. We have to reserve seat for the party
B. We have to confirm our attendance
C. We can attend without informing
D. We have to come on time.
12. The word “their” in the text refers to…..
A. Readers C. A couple
B. Invitees D. Fanesa and Diana
13. The text above is the invitation for………
A. Engagement C. Inauguration
B. Graduation D. Wedding
Text for no 14-17
Friendships are one of
The few things
that improve with age.
The family and friends of Nate Hempstead
invite you to celebrate his
and a lifetime of good friendship
on May 15th at 6:30 p.m.
14765 May worth Court
14. The invitation above is about…….
A. the of 15th birthday party
B. the seventeenth birthday party
C. the celebration of 17th wedding anniversary
D. the meeting of the family
15. Who invited the party?
A. Hempstead’s family
B. Nate’s family and friends
C. Hempstead’s friends
D. Nate Hempstead
16. When will the party be held? It will be held …
A. on May 15th at 6.30 am
B. in the evening on May
C. on May fifth at 6-30 pm
D. on May in the afternoon
17. The word “you” in the text refers to…
A. inviter B. invitee C. reader D. writer
Text for no 18-21
Please join me
a very happy birthday to my Sister
On November 21st 2007
at 2 o'clock
88 7th Ave Tarpon, NJ
18 The purpose of the text is…..
A. to join the birthday party
B. to come to a happy time
C. to ask people to attend the event
D. to ask people to invite someone
19. The word ”my sister” in the text refers to….
A. inviter C. invitee’s sister
B. writer D. inviter’s sister
20. The similar meaning of the word “join” is….
A. take place C. take a party
B. take part D. take a rest
21. The venue of the party is…
A. November 21st 2007 C. Chuckee Cheese
B. at two o’clock D. my home.
Text 6 for no 22-25
We would be pleased
to have you join us
for a party announcing our
the ninth of April
at one o'clock
in the afternoon
at The Pier Restaurant
76 River Road
22. What is the function of the text?
A. to announce our engagement
B. to inform our party
C. to invite someone to a special event
D. to ask someone to be pleased in the party
23. “Engagement: is the event usually held …..the marriage.
A. while B. after C. during D. before
24. The party will be held….
A. at 1.00 pm C. at 13.00 am
B. at one am D. at 13.00 pm
25. The word ”party” has the similar meaning as…..
A. parting C. ceremony
B. reception D. celebration